A New Decade Of “Techy” Kids!

by Kathy Sykes on March 12, 2010 · 8 comments

100_1335

Do you ever wonder if our kids are too “technology dependent”.  Will our children ever achieve handwriting skills, know how to do math calculations, how to research information, or how to have a social life WITHOUT technology?

Is technology a good or bad thing? I guess it’s all in the way it is introduced to a child at an early age.  I prefer to introduce my child to technology with the same balance that I introduce him to the “real” world…..a little at a time. I have purchased several electronic toys that assist my child in reading, spelling and coordination. But these things devices do not take the place of going to the library, purchasing a “real” book or running and jumping outside.

I would like for him to be astute in the ways of technology BUT I also want him to be “free” of the dependence that using technology solely can have on society.

When I first found out I was pregnant, I had let myself get comfortable and complacent with technology. I hadn’t learned anything new in a while. But with the arrival of a child, I knew I had to step up my “tech” game so that I could be an informative resource to my son. Even though I blog, I am really not a “techy chick” but I do know my way around the internet, a computer, and a variety of different devices. There are so many educational programs that are either on DVD, iPod, and internet that are great resources for children learning. These programs should not be overlooked.

You cannot get around being involved in technology but we can strive hard to find that balance between critical thinking versus dependence on technology.

Find your way to blend technology with the real world!

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Mela Kamin March 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm

We’re trying to navigate this ourselves with our three – a middle schooler, first grader & preschooler. My 5th grader is already using PowerPoint in classes – something I learned in college. But, at home, we really try to limit technology and it’s a hard pill to swallow for a kid with everything at her disposal . . . with a Dad who is a commercial photographer, our house is full of Mac, i-Everything and Nikons. It makes it more difficult to show her we can be free of technology when we are so reliant on it ourselves. We try to intersperse & encourage low-tech activities, but we first have to make it a priority to turn off the tech and just be present with them.

Kathy March 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Mela-
I love it that you said you make it a priority to be “present” with your kids. That is what is missing in the techy society. As you said, you can’t avoid it but as a parent we must remain an essential part of our children’s lives.
Thanks for your comment.

Deborah March 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm

It does look as though technology is here to stay and we certainly want our children to be technologically savvy but as you have said, a balance of technology and real life exploration and physical activity need to be considered along the way. I think parents and teachers of today’s children have one of the most unique challenges a society has ever had to face when it comes to raising and teaching children. I really appreciate your thoughtful reflection on this topic.

(I have sent this twice because I put the wrong website address in the first time – if you can catch it, please delete my first comment – thanks!

LaTonya March 15, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I read your comment on the b-link, and followed you home. I like your site, and its content. From your comment, we have some of the same concerns, and interest.

Ok, on to the comment. My husband, and I talk about our kids and technology all the time. We don’t want them to be too dependent, and not be able to think, figure, and navigate life without a computer, calculator, or GPS device. I think you are correct, it takes finding our own blend of tech and the real world,

Kathy March 15, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Deborah for your comments. I love you site by the way. Since I am new to homeschooling, I use a lot of resources from the web and your site will be one of them.

Kathy March 15, 2010 at 9:43 pm

LaTonya-
Loving the 40 and fabulous theme of your blog. That is exactly how I feel and I feel like I am just getting started. Thanks for commenting on my post and please continue to join in on the discussion. Going to Blogalicious in Oct?

Real Life Sarah March 29, 2010 at 1:13 am

I like your perspective on this! I do think we have to treat it with the same “balance” lesson with which we treat other things in life. I think it’s important as parents, too, to use the technology our children are using, so we can help them with moral dilemmas and eithics questions as they come up. For example, I am going to let my daughter know the ins and outs of Facebook, and actually teach her how to use it safely when she turns 13.

Ginger March 29, 2010 at 1:26 am

You are so right. Balance and timing is key.
Nice to meet you,