Meditation Monday! Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Life and Legacy!

by Kathy Sykes on January 16, 2012 · 8 comments

75677464

Today we celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As a family, this is a time to reflect on the momentous growth and accomplishments that America has taken with race relations. It is because of individuals like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that people are beginning to open their minds, hearts and spirits to cultures that are different from themselves and to realize that we are not “at all” that different.

Are there still steps that need to be made as far as race relations are concerned? Indeed there are. But I sincerely believe that how we treat people comes from how we are taught at home. It is not enough just to “say” that everyone is equal, if you are speaking and acting the opposite. Trust me, it is evident when you or your family is not culturally diverse. It is important.

This world is full of interesting, different, and fascinating people. I could not imagine my life without some of the most wonderful people I know and love from all around the world. It would be unfortunate if we allowed ourselves not to partake in learning about different cultures and remain focused on “what we feel comfortable with”. That is not the way God wants us to live.

Take the month of February to consciously seek diversity in your family’s life and lifestyle.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Linda Kirk January 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Bravo

Kathy Sykes January 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Happy MLK,Jr. Day!! How was the celebration in ATL?

Brandi January 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

So true and very well put. We live in a world that is diverse and beautiful and amazing. Why would we limit ourselves to loving only those that look like us? Thank you for linking up to the MLK Day Link UP and for continuing Dr. King’s legacy of love and peace!

Kathy Sykes January 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for RT my post on twitter and for the opportunity to LINK UP!

Jacinda @ Growing Home January 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Amen!

Kathy Sykes January 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks Jacinda for stopping by. I went to your blog and found the post about leaving work to take care of just “one” child so dynamic…but I was not able to leave a comment. I must be having computer problems. But I favorited (if that’s a word) your blog.

Becky January 17, 2012 at 3:17 am

I agree with you…we act out what is taught in the home. Little ones certainly pick up on it if we say one thing and then do another. I pray to not only tell my children about unconditional love for all people, but for the opportunity to model it as well. Thanks for this post!

Kathy Sykes January 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

EVERYTHING starts at home. Let you children’s behavior reflect a home of acceptance!