Meditation Monday! Have You Ever Dimmed Your Own LIGHT?

by Kathy Sykes on March 5, 2012 · 14 comments

75677464

As women and moms, we tend to put others before ourselves in many instances. I know that we do this a lot with our children, but have you consciously taken the back seat in other areas of your life as well? Have you dimmed your own LIGHT (the light that God has given you), in order for someone else to shine.

I know that I have done this on two specific occasions. The first time I consciously made the decision to dim my light was ย when I was in business school to get my M.B.A. I was one of the older students and had more work experience than many in my class. I did not want to seem like the “know it all” so I decided to sit back and let the other students take the lead on many assignments. These were projects that I may have already successfully completed on my real job, but I “thought” it would be a better learning experience if I did not speak up about my knowledge.

I was dimming my God given LIGHT and it was like I was turning my back on the blessing of knowledge that the Lord had given me. Knowledge is meant to be shared.

Another time when I dimmed my own LIGHT and took the backseat was after I married a minister. I again “thought” that I needed to let his ministry light shine while I stood in the background as support. Well, that didn’t turn out so well either. This was another case where the Lord wanted me to stand beside my husband in the ministry for support. I am just coming to grips with this position in my life and it is one that I am openly welcoming.

Again as mothers, we may be stepping back to let our children take the spotlight in sports, arts, or other activities and we have become the chauffeurs. But we must continue to let our LIGHT shine bright because it will only benefit our children and family.

God does not want us to dim the LIGHT on our God given talents or His purpose on our lives. Allow God to be the pilot of our lives and pray (instead of think) to Him for direction over us and our families.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Linda Kirk March 5, 2012 at 7:32 am

Amen

Kathy Sykes March 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You can say that again ๐Ÿ™‚

(FL) Girl with a New Life March 5, 2012 at 10:34 am

What a thoughtful and important post. I would venture to guess that yes, we all do this at times. I believe I have been dimming my light and sacrificing all for my work. I am now striving to better and more present in all areas of my life.

I would love to interview you on my blog. I have a three question format about a life changing moment. If you scroll back on my blog you will find some of my previous interviews.

Kathy Sykes March 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Sure you can interview me. I will get in contact with you!

RevLaurelJ March 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Wow! I was just talking about this with my husband. My light dimmed a little after having my son (my 1st) last year. Now, I’m getting back to God’s call on my life outside of motherhood. I’m learning the art of balance now.

Kathy Sykes March 6, 2012 at 5:22 am

Yes, it is so easy to do. God gave us these gifts and talents to be shared with the world (not to cover them up).

Deidra March 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Seems as if we’re on the same page today. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kathy Sykes March 11, 2012 at 7:16 am

Thanks,as always, for your support. And I love your Facebook cover picture!

Shelly Miller March 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Yes, I know this well as a pastor’s wife. Learning every day to let the light shine confidently, in the way He created it to.

Kathy Sykes March 11, 2012 at 7:16 am

Thanks for your comment Shelly and you are right….it is all about confidence. I have an interesting post coming up in the next week or so about being confident in the Lord.

Megan Willome March 11, 2012 at 5:27 am

I came over from Deidra’s. You are really speaking to me this morning. I’ve been married 20 years, and I have two teens, and I think I’ve just been learning this over the last few months.

Kathy Sykes March 11, 2012 at 7:15 am

It is so easy to think that we are doing the “right thing” by stepping back and letting someone else live out their dream. But God has a purpose and dream for all of us. He wants to see ALL of His children fulfill their purpose in life.

Joanne Norton March 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm

And then there’s me. My husband is a quiet background person, and I’m an in-your-face sharing and working and bearing too much weight, just b/c that’s always seemed to be one of my life-long “jobs”. I TRY to step back a little, but it doesn’t often happen. Maybe you and I could meet in the middle… helping each other, one move forward, one step back. Worth a chuckle, if nothing else.

Kathy Sykes March 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm