Oh, how I love to watch the Olympics. I don’t care if it is summer or winter, I love to see athletes compete in sports that they have trained for their whole lives and represent America (or any country for that matter).
Since we won’t be able to make it to London this summer (boo!), I thought that I would introduce my son to his first Olympics by creating our own games and my niece also took part.
Here are just a few ideas of how to have Olympic fun with your own children, teach sportsmanship and commitment to finishing at the same time.
All of our “games” took place at the local park. Here are what they competed in:
1. TRACK AND FIELD—Mini Slide Race (5 times around)
2. TRACK AND FIELD–Jumbo Slide Race (3 times around)
3. GYMNASTICS—The Swings (swing ten times, jump out and run back to base)
4. TRACK-–What I Like To Call “The Two Meter” (one time around)
5. SWIMMING—Pool Kick (who can kick the longest-my niece was over it)
Since my niece is thirteen and my son is only five, he lost every competition except one but there were no tears, just good ole plain fun.
Thomas and I will be sitting front and center every night to watch the Olympic games this year and I encourage you to do the same. The Opening Ceremony begins this Friday night!