Last week, I wrote about ways to encourage your congregation to GIVE in order for them to reap the benefits of their sowing. This week I am talking about how to carry that same philosophy on to your family.
A great thing for all families to do is to create a Family Mission Statement. This is a statement that describes:
1. Who you are as a family-CORE
2. What your family stands for–VALUES
3. What is expected from your family- PURPOSE
4. How you want your family to grow—ROADMAP
One of the most important purposes in our family is to be grateful for what the Lord had given us through our giving back to the community.
There are several ways that your family can participate in giving (outside of the church):
1. Participate yearly in a Thanksgiving and/or Christmas giving project (an established one or one created by the family)
2. Host bi-annual donation drives (either with your neighborhood or civic organization) to give to a charity of your choice
3. Create a scholarship in a family member’s name to either support academia or an extracurricular activity in the community
4. Collect can goods and take to your local food bank several times per year
5. Sign up to be volunteers with your local Red Cross or Disaster Preparedness programs
I personally would love to become a missionary family for a couple of years and go assist overseas. But since I don’t foresee that happening in the near future, there is missionary work that can be done in the USA!
I encourage that your family sit down together and discuss how you would like to participate, as a family, in helping those who need help and write down your family mission statement and keep it or frame it where it can be seen by everyone.
There is no greater joy than helping someone else.