Now is the time to begin to think about family summer plans. Many of us look forward to taking a vacation during the summer and spending time with the family. But the costs of these vacations can sometimes stress us out more than the enjoyment of the vacation. Here are a few tips for planning and staying on budget for your family vacation.
1. Set a realistic vacation goal. Your vacation should be based upon how much money you have saved up or are able to pay as you go. Plan a vacation that is right for your family and not compared to other families.
2. Look into all inclusive resorts or hotels that offer free breakfast and maybe a light snack in the evening to save on your meals. When you have a family of greater than three, food can be costly. Always purchase beverages and snacks for the room. And look into getting rooms with refrigerators and microwaves. You won’t regret it.
3. Discuss with the family ahead of time which outings/excursions that you want to participate in. Doing this lets everyone know what is already planned and unexpected expenses want be incurred by deciding on the spot.
4. Prepay for most of your vacation ahead of time. This will allow you to know what has been spent and what you have left to spend. And you won’t get a shock when the final bills arrive.
5. Place all spending money on a prepaid Visa card or a separate debit card (never credit cards). Once the money is gone, then it is gone and you stay on budget.